Reflections on Peru and Ecuador...

6.4.18 Reflections on Peru & Ecuador...




Most interesting species in the Galapagos...the double-beaked Nazca booby. 
(Photo by Tim Churton)




I enjoyed Ecuador much more than Peru for many reasons:

- cleaner, especially Quito compared to Lima
- slightly less traffic, but much more concentrated in a much smaller square mile area in Quito (laying on the horn constantly about equal in both locations - those earplugs came in handy)
- more varied adventures on land and sea in Ecuador (the Andes, the Amazon, Galapagos)
- Ecuador uses US dollars so no currency conversions
- healthier, more varied diet in Ecuador instead of potatoes 3,000 different ways (Peru meals had at least 2 types of potatoes - sometimes 3 during a 3-course meal)
- except for the first hotel in Lima, the coffee in Ecuador was much better

This was a great group to travel with. Lots of laughter, shared challenges and wonderful adventure.


(Photo credits to MacBeth, Tim, Kim, Tammy and Elton)





I find myself getting ready to toss used toilet paper in the waste basket instead of in the toilet.

I keep saying "gracias" instead of "thank you."

I miss my Amazon boots.

My wool socks and convertible pants/shorts will never be the same.

I'll never be able to look at a pet guinea pig the same way I use to.

I now know the difference between a tortoise and a turtle, but still don't understand the difference between a seal and a sea lion.

And, with kudos to Ogden Nash...
"Tortoises"
Come crown my brow with leaves of myrtle,
I know the tortoise is a turtle.
Come carve my name in stone immortal,
I know the turtoise is a tortle.
I know to my profound despair
I bet on one to beat a hare.
I also know I'm now a pauper
Because of its tortley, turtley, torpor.


Also by Ogden Nash (the correct words for Tim and Mac)
"The Pelican"
A wonderful bird is the pelican, 
His bill will hold more than his belican. 
He can take in his beak 
Food enough for a week,                                                 
But I'm damned if I see how the helican. 


I miss the blue-footed boobies. 

I want to travel the Galapagos western route - this time with adult fins, face mask and snorkel.




Sorry my little one, but it is time to go...
(photo credit: Tammy & Elton)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting the Wet Part of our Trip

The March of the Giant Tortoises...